The Nature Center at Schenley Park. Designed in 1911 by the noted Pittsburgh architectural firm Rutan and Russell, the building was originally a park pavilion and later became the Nature Center. Schenley Park dates back to 1889 when Mary Croghan Schenley donated 300 acres to the City of Pittsburgh for a park. Officials purchased over 100 additional acres from her bringing the total acreage to 456. The park was inspired by Fredrick Law Olmstead's work and other landscape architects of the time. Plantings were laid out in 1896 by Scottish botanist William Falconer.