Hump District

20090728 cp 0234
View of the Hump District on Fifth Avenue from Smithfield Street to Grant Street with the Hotel Henry visible on the left. During the 1900s, the "hump" cut took place in the area of downtown known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see, Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
August 21st, 1912
Location
Downtown
Address
Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection
More Details
Source
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh Original URL
Subjects
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Blue collar workers--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Fifth Avenue (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Identifier
715.122789A.CP
Rights
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose
Nearby Photos
Small 20090728 cp 0125
Hump District
Small 20090728 cp 0299
Hump District
Location
Tags
Comments
  • Jason about 10 years ago

    Not sure about this one

  • Log in to leave a comment