View of the footbridge to the Duquesne Incline on West Carson Street. The incline began operation under the Duquesne Inclined Plane Company on May 20, 1877, as a means of connecting the South Side to the Duquesne Heights and Mount Washington neighborhoods. It was designed by Samuel Diescher, a noted designer of inclined planes. Diescher was also the design engineer of the Ferris wheel machinery, which was invented in Pittsburgh and debuted at the Chicago Exposition in 1893. The Duquesne Incline closed in 1962 but later reopened in 1963 after successful fundraising efforts. It is operated by the Society for the Preservation of the Duquesne Incline. The incline features two restored cars, originally built in 1877 by the J.G. Brill Company of Philadelphia.