Hump cut progress at the southwest corner of Wylie Avenue and Sixth Avenue looking west. The New York Restaurant featuring a dining room for ladies and gents is visible on the corner along with Alex Sotus & Co. and the Hotel Sutton. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.