Hump cut progress on Webster Avenue. The fronts of Hotel Abruzzes, Libreria Economica, and Banca V. DeLuca & Co. are visible, as is a woman with a baby in a carriage on the lower left. Buildings in the image are property of V. DeLuca and the Washington Trust Company. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.