View from the corner of Cherry Way and Oliver Avenue, looking towards Fifth Avenue, during the hump cut project. The building on the left is the Carnegie Building, which houses The South Side Trust Company. Across the street from the Carnegie Building is Kaufmann Brothers Department Store. The "hump" cut took place in the area of Downtown known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see, Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Blue collar workers--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Motor vehicles--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Horse-drawn vehicles--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Oliver Avenue (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Cherry Way (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose