St. Mary of Mercy School. The school was associated with the St. Mary of Mercy Church. In 1868, a group of Irish immigrants living in "the point" section of Pittsburgh established a parish which began with a small chapel as a mission of the cathedral. The present St. Mary of Mercy Church, built in 1935, is the nearest church to the original location of Fort Duquesne. It accommodates 850 people.