View of the first Point Bridge, built in 1876-1877, from Mount Washington. The stiffened chain suspension bridge was designed by Edward Hemberl of the American Bridge Company. It connected Pittsburgh from the descending bank of Monongahela River at Water Street to an area near the lower station of the Duquesne Incline on East Carson Street. A new bridge, designed by Stanley L. Roush, was constructed beside the original between 1925 and 1927. Upon the completion of the new bridge, the Grand 1876 Bridge was dismantled. By 1959, the new bridge would also be outgrown.