Intersection of Bigelow Boulevard from the Fifth Avenue looking toward the Soldiers & Sailors National Military Museum & Memorial. To the right are the Pittsburgh Athletic Association and the Syria Mosque. Soldiers and Sailors was established through an Act of State Legislation April 12, 1905. The building was designed by noted architects Palmer and Hornbostel and completed in 1910. The Syria Mosque, razed in the early 1990s, was home to the Pittsburgh Symphony, the Pittsburgh Opera, and served as a popular venue for concerts, artistic programs, and graduation ceremonies. The Pittsburgh Athletic Association was designed by noted architects Janssen & Abbott and opened in 1911.