Hump District

20090728 cp 0327
View of the Hump District on Strawberry Way from Pentland Street to Grant Street. During the 1900s, the "hump" cut took place in the area of downtown known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see, Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
September 6th, 1912
Location
Downtown
Address
Strawberry Way
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection
More Details
Source
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh Original URL
Subjects
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Pedestrians--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Strawberry Way (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Identifier
715.122847.CP
Rights
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose
Nearby Photos
Small 20090624 cp 0409
Building Demolition
Small 20090728 cp 0131
Hump District
Location
Tags
Comments
  • phoebe over 12 years ago

    the u.s. steel building sits on top of this today

  • Log in to leave a comment