A steam shovel works at lowering Fifth Avenue near Grant Street. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. Planning began in 1909 and the project was completed with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares, and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.