View of construction during the hump removal project on Grant Street from Diamond Street to Fifth Avenue. Note the temporary walkway across the street, connecting the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail with the Frick Building. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Pedestrians--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Municipal buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Frick Building (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Grant Street (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose