View of construction during the hump removal project along the west side of Grant Street , looking from the northwest corner at the intersection with Sixth Avenue. The storefronts of The Chamberlain Company Warehouse, Manhattan Leather Company, and a café are visible. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.