View of the hump cut progress along the north side of Grant Street looking from the east corner at Fourth Avenue. The Court House, the Quick Lunch, and other storefronts can be seen in the background. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Municipal buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Horse-drawn vehicles--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Grant Street (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose