View of Fifth Avenue from Grant Street to Ross Street, showing the new and old grades from the hump removal project. The building on the left is the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Pedestrians--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Municipal buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Horse-drawn vehicles--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Motor vehicles--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Fifth Avenue (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose