Fifth Avenue, from Ross Street to Grant Street, during the Hump District's "hump" removal. The street scene includes of a view of the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail, and the Hotel Henry. In the 1900s, the "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. For more information, please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Municipal buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Blue collar workers--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Wrecking--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Fifth Avenue (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose