All Comments

Small 20090407 cp 0037

"I give. How do I turn the view, to look west, across Magee Field?"

Tony said 17 days ago about: Greenfield Avenue Bridge Repairs
Small 3318248c

"Rutherglen Street was NOT off of Irvin St. It was below the tracks on 2nd Ave. Irvin St did NOT come out to Hazelwood in 1904.
Rutherglen along with Kansas St. and a few blocks were cleaned out for mill expansion."

Tony said 18 days ago about: Hazelwood Businesses
Small 20090422 cp 0316

"I must admit that the subgrade materials were not bad but there are not too many roads around that are still in good condition 109 years later. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Eldridge at Forward
Small 20090323 cp 0088

"I've noticed this too. I think 100 years ago the green had trouble thriving in this environment. Think of all those pitch black Pittsburgh at Noon photos from the 30s, if people can't see the light trees can't be getting all of what they need. "

Patrick said about 1 month ago about: Forward and Greenfield Avenues
Small 20100712 hpicasc 0032

"I believe the view of the old photo is actually one block further to the south where Forbes and Schenley intersect as opposed to the Northumberland intersection. :-)"

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Forbes Avenue Paving
Small 20090818 cp 0310

"I admire these old concrete arch bridges of the early 1900's. I worked on the seismic retrofit of the Colorado Street Bridge in Pasadena, CA which had similar architecture. The difference in the view corridor mattered back then I guess. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Murray Avenue Bridge Drawing Plans
Small 20100120 cp 0323

"It's too bad the bridge architecture really headed to the crapper. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Murray Avenue
Small 20100716 hpicasc 0099

"How was the repair undertaken after the fire? "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Hobart Street Mine Fire
Small 3420380c

"You know you are Pittsburgh with 1/2 of the cars parked in the wrong direction on the opposite side of the street. :-)"

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Hobart Street
Small 20100113 cp 0050

"The photos are excellent. The road crews had a pretty good line and grade and I don't see any Cat 14gs or equivalent out there grading in 1913. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Hobart Street
Small 20100113 cp 0049

"It is interesting how much cut they did to create the street widths and how competent the ground is as 100 years later not a bit of erosion. I was never aware of this. Great photos. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Hobart Street
Small 20090323 cp 0088

"I am wondering if it is my imagination or was Pittsburgh pretty much treeless 100 years ago? Or was every picture taken 100 years ago in the dead of winter?"

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Forward and Greenfield Avenues
Small 262386cp

"I always like the fact that it was called Forbes Street when the name was Forbes Avenue. :-)
"

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Forbes Street Opening
Small 20100712 hpicasc 0032

"We should have never taken up the rail in the 1960s. The Street Car was ahead of its time, and we had to burn the fossil fuel instead. "

Larry said about 1 month ago about: Forbes Avenue Paving
Small 20090209 cp 0174

"You can see the Brilliant Pumping Station located across from Aspinwall on the Allegheny River in the background. "

Joe said about 2 months ago about: Dipper Dredge at Work
Small 111859 11cp

"The camera is on the hillside above 5th Ave, east of Kirkpatrick. I see 5th Ave west of Kirkpatrick heading inbound. In fact, when I zoom+ the pic, I can make out 5th Avenue High School. We can see some of Terrace Village, a truck turning outbound from Seneca to 5th, the rows of flat roof houses (small apt bldgs) lining both sides of Moultrie going north from 5th, apt bldgs along DeRaud St, and even a bldg on Duquesne's then smaller campus on the Bluff (look left of the Grant Bldg)..... I'll put the map marker at 5th/Moultrie. "

b said 4 months ago about: Downtown at a Distance
Small 111859 11cp

"I'm not sure with this one. I think that's Bedford Dwellings behind the smokestack of a probably long gone powerhouse, but if that were the case, St Benedict the Moor school should be visible, which it isn't."

Patrick said 4 months ago about: Downtown at a Distance
Small 20100809 hpicasc 0085

"Stoner, Thaw & Co was located at 1200 West Carson St"

Patrick said 5 months ago about: Carson Street
Small 3524119cp

"The No. 3 Police Station on Penn Ave was located at 2608 Penn Ave. "

Patrick said 5 months ago about: Street Corner Confrontation
Small 20100420 cp 0060

"Evans Way, sometimes referred to as Evans Alley, was another street that was sacrificed for Gateway Center, but it once existed one block toward the point from the still present Stanwix street"

Patrick said 5 months ago about: Evans Way