View of construction during the hump removal project along Grant Street from Fourth Avenue to Diamond Street. The "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. Please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m for more information.
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Blue collar workers--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Grant Street (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose
Start by dragging the marker to where the photo was taken from
Oops, there no search results. Try searching again or pressing Center Marker
Oops, there is no Street View image for this spot. That's OK though, the map is more important
Nobody has tagged this yet, but the map shows where Google thinks it should be...