Grant Street, from Fifth Avenue to Sixth Avenue, during the Hump District's "hump" removal. The Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail are visible in the background. In the 1900s, the "hump" cut took place in the downtown area known as Grant's Hill. The project began with planning in 1909 and ended with the final cut in 1913. It changed the gradient of Grant Street, Diamond Street, and Oliver, Fifth, Sixth, Webster and Wylie Avenues. For more information, please see Frederick Law Olmstead, Pittsburgh Main Thoroughfares and the Down Town District: http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi-bin/t/text/text-idx?c=pitttext&view=toc&idno=00aep1324m
Pittsburgh City Photographer Collection, 1901-2002, AIS.1971.05, Archives Service Center, University of Pittsburgh
Streets--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh--Maintenance and repair.; Commercial buildings--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Blue collar workers--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Pedestrians--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Wrecking--Pennsylvania--Pittsburgh.; Grant Street (Pittsburgh, Pa.).; Downtown (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
Public Domain - Anybody may use this photo for any purpose
Start by dragging the marker to where the photo was taken from
Oops, there no search results. Try searching again or pressing Center Marker
Oops, there is no Street View image for this spot. That's OK though, the map is more important
Nobody has tagged this yet, but the map shows where Google thinks it should be...